May 18th is No Dirty Dishes Day! The point of today is to not have any dishes to clean for the entire day. If you ever wanted to spend a whole day eating in restaurants, today is that day! This is a great excuse to take a break from one of the most tedious daily chores and enjoy work-free dining this one time.
For every other day of the year, you can reduce time spent washing dishes by trying these tips to lighten the task.
1. Load your dishwasher correctly. Make sure your dishes are facing toward the center, where the sprayer is. Put your silverware in with the handle down, and separate each item as much as possible. … Read more...
The end of the school year is upon us, which means many of us are preparing for the long-anticipated pinnacle of high school: prom. This is a really exciting and fun part of the high school experience, but it can also cause a lot of stress. At this point, you’ve (hopefully) already figured out what you’re wearing, so we’re going to focus on some tips to help you have a stress-free and memorable prom experience:
1. I recommend doing your hair yourself. This sounds counterintuitive, since getting someone else to do it seems far easier, but here’s the thing: you know how to do your hair. You just need the basic items (hair dryers, flat irons, curling … Read more...
I’ve recently gotten into the habit of packing essential nutrients into my diet in the form of smoothies. An energizing smoothie is a fantastic way to start the day, and nutrient-rich, protein-packed smoothies are perfect post-gym snacks. It’s so much fun to experiment with different ingredients and see what kind of deliciousness you can invent! This is one of my favorite creations, and it’s great to have at any time of day.
¾ cup frozen berries (I use a mixture of blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries, but any will do!)
½ cup vanilla soy milk
¼ cup water
1 tbsp Tru-Nut peanut butter powder
1 tbsp chocolate hemp protein powder
Add all the ingredients to your NutriBullet… Read more...
Did you miss our post last week about what to get Mom, and now you’re running behind on Mother’s Day shopping? We’ve got you covered. Ordering online may be cutting it close timewise, but it’s not too late to make her something! Sugar scrubs are super easy to make, and they’re amazing beauty products. They gently exfoliate your skin, leaving it soft and rejuvenated. There are a ton of different kinds, but my favorite is a simple brown sugar scrub. Here’s how to make it!
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup brown sugar
A container of some sort
Raw cane sugar
Any additions you’d like (citrus, essential oils, vanilla extract, etc.)
Add the coconut oil. Some … Read more...
Now that the weather is warming up, it’s time to transition from the comforting warmth of hot coffee to the refreshing coolness of iced coffee. Fortunately, this is super easy to do at home! There’s a misconception that you need cold brew K-Cups or special brew-over-ice gear, and these things are great, but you can easily make iced coffee with the things you already have. Just follow this simple process!
1. Gather materials. You’ll need a Keurig, a K-Cup, ice, a cup, whatever additions you like to put in your coffee, and a stirrer.
2. Fill your cup with ice. Make sure it’s safe to hold hot liquids!
3. Brew your coffee over the cup of ice. I … Read more...
While you’re spring cleaning everything this season, don’t neglect your appliances! It’s sometimes easy to forget these things need to be cleaned periodically in order to continue to function optimally and keep the air in your home fresh. While this is important, not everyone has time to deep clean every item in their house. So here are some quick, easy ways to get your appliances sparkling without losing the whole day.
Wipe down the sides with an all-purpose cleaner or white vinegar. Then remove the bottom rack, and pour a cup of vinegar on the bottom of the machine. If you’re feeling frisky, sprinkle a 1/4 cup of baking soda on there.
Mix baking soda and vinegar, and … Read more...
After a harsh winter full of damaging weather and road conditions, it’s time to get your car back in shape for spring. This is going to be a season full of adventures, so we need to make sure our vehicles are ready to go. Here’s how!
1. Give it a thorough cleaning. I’m talking both interior and exterior—your car needs it. Between all the snow and ice that was coating the paint and the dirt and grime that got caked in the carpet, your car is almost definitely in need of a good wash. Start by cleaning out all the junk you’ve accumulated during the winter. What are you keeping your car that doesn’t need to be thee? Is there … Read more...
One of the best things about fall, from a food lover’s perspective, is of course the food! Below are some of our favorite apple and pumpkin inspired sweet treats this season:
Salted Caramel Apple Pie Bars
Recipe source: Sally’s Baking Addiction
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
- APPLE FILLING
- 2 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced (1/4 inch thick)1
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (40g) old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup (70g) packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon
… Read more...
Nothing beats a thick, juicy burger branded with grill lines, except maybe a steak with a perfect sear! The outdoor grill is the centerpiece of the backyard kitchen. BBQ grills offer even novice home cooks a simple way to prepare delicious meals with distinctive flavors while enjoying the outdoors. Eighty percent of all households own an outdoor barbecue, grill or smoker, reports the Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association (H.P.B.A.).
But how do you pick the perfect grill? There are several things to consider, including the grill’s size, features and fuel type. Choosing a new grill by fuel type is most common. Whether you’re a fan of gas grills or die-hard charcoal grillmaster, we’ve got the facts you need and … Read more...
Think great friends, awesome tunes and a fabulous destination for the ultimate girls’ summer road trip! Don’t let summer pass you by without planning a great weekend getaway with your girlfriends. Leave the guys (and kids) at home and take a couple days to enjoy a carefree weekend filled with laughter and non-stop fun.
We’ve got the five top things needed for the perfect summer road trip with the girls:
Relying on smartphone apps for all navigation needs means trusting you’ll always be driving in an area with cellular coverage. Trust a GPS to get you where you want to go and to help you find interesting places to explore along the way. Look for a unit with … Read more...