Happy Earth Day! Earth Day is a celebration of environmental protection and inspires awareness to our planet’s health every April 22. Did you know that P.C. Richard & Son promotes recycling, energy-saving appliances and green initiatives all year round? Here are a few ways we help protect the environment and some suggestions on great green products for your home.
What We Do
We here at P.C. Richard & Son deal with a lot of plastic, cardboard and Styrofoam with product packaging. We break down all cardboard boxes that hold all orders we receive and separate it from any plastic and Styrofoam that is also included in the packaging. The plastic and Styrofoam is collected and cardboard grouped into bails to be sent to a recycling plant where it is reused and repurposed. Our Deer Park Clearance Center alone sees four to five hundred boxes ever week and a half or so, so that’s tens of thousands of pounds of cardboard, plastic and Styrofoam recycled every year from our 65 locations.
In addition to hauling away all of our packaging material to recycling plants, we often offer free haul aways of your old appliances when you purchase new ones. Haul-awayed appliances are always recycled and are never brought to a landfill. Freon and other harmful substances are disposed of in OSHCA-complaint ways.
We recycle on a much smaller scale, too. Our break rooms have recycling receptacles that are clearly marked for things like aluminum cans and plastic bottles. We also have recycling bins for white paper in our corporate office headquarters.
How You Can Help
Energy Star products are a cost-effective and convenient way to reduce energy use and promote environmental protection. Energy Star is a government-backed program and has also been adopted in countries like Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Taiwan and the European Union. We carry many Energy Star-approved appliances and electronics that are worth looking into for your own green initiatives. We offer:
- Energy Star Refrigerators: Energy Star-qualified refrigerators require about half as much energy s models manufactured before 1993.
- Energy Star Washers and Dryers: Energy Star washers can save you $550 in operating costs over a regular clothes washer. Less energy and water use means less air pollution from power plants and less water going to waste.
- Energy Star Air Conditioners: If every room AC sold in the US were Energy Star qualified, it would prevent 1.3 billion pounds of greenhouse gas emissions- the equivalent emissions of 115,000 cars.
- Energy Star Dishwashers: Energy Star-qualified dishwashers use at least 41% less energy than the federal minimum standard for energy consumption and can save you more than $30 a year in utility costs.
- Energy Star HDTVs: There are 275 million TVs currently in use in the US, consuming over 50 billion kilowatts of energy each year, That’s 4% of all household’s electricity use! This is enough electricity to power all the homes in New York State for an entire year. Energy Star-qualified TVs use about 30% less energy than standard units.
- And more! Check out our Energy Star Products page.
These products will pay for themselves over time with the minimal energy they use, and Mother Nature will be protected! This Earth Day, please look into planet-protecting green initiatives and consider Energy Star products. For more information on Earth Day, visit the Earth Day Network website.
Do you have good Earth Day tips? Let us know in the comments!
Stay informed on the latest P.C. Richard & Son sales product news, tips and tricks, contests, P.C. Richard & Son Theater shows and more! Subscribe today.