Want to have that same surround sound experience you get at the movie theater in your own home? You can, and it’s really simple! Here is a basic “Do It Yourself” introduction to setting up a home theater system in your own home.
When purchasing your speaker system, keep the size of your room and TV size in mind. If you have a big TV or a medium-to-large size room, choose larger speakers. Where you position each speaker, depending upon the layout and shape of your room, may affect size or type of speaker as well.
Next, decide on your layout. Check the picture below for a basic set up of how speakers should be properly placed.
Remember you can get a cleaner look with in-wall speakers, in-ceiling speakers or custom flat panel speakers that integrate with your TV set.
Follow these steps for a quick set up:
- Connect the surround sound receiver to your TV by inserting the HDMI cable into the “HDMI Out” jack on the back of the receiver and the “HDMI In” jack on the back of your TV.
- Position the front-left and front-right speakers facing your audience on both sides of the TV. You may place the speakers on the ground, on a shelf or hang them with wall fasteners.
- Position the center speaker above or below your television, level with the front speakers.
- Position the subwoofer wherever it is convenient; placement does not have an impact on sound quality. In picture above we have it placed to the left center, but that may not be ideal for you.
- Attach speaker wire to the correct speakers. (Samsung’s surround sound systems include color-coded speaker wire to assist in identifying wire placement). Insert the black end of each wire into the “Negative” port and the red end of each wire into the “Positive” port of each speaker.
- Match the speaker wire plugs to their corresponding jacks on the back of the surround sound receiver. If using a wireless system, insert the included TX card into the “TX card” slot, with the label reading “Wireless” facing up, and connect your rear surround sound speakers to the wireless receiver.
- Plug in the surround sound receiver and power it on to enable your surround sound speakers.
Now pop in Jurassic Park and enjoy your at home theater experience! If you need more help with your installing your home theater system, electronic installations are available in the NY, NJ, PA, and CT areas through P.C. Richard & Son. For more information click here.
Stay informed on the latest P.C. Richard & Son sales product news, tips and tricks, contests, P.C. Richard & Son Theater shows and more! Subscribe today.