May 18th is No Dirty Dishes Day! The point of today is to not have any dishes to clean for the entire day. If you ever wanted to spend a whole day eating in restaurants, today is that day! This is a great excuse to take a break from one of the most tedious daily chores and enjoy work-free dining this one time.
For every other day of the year, you can reduce time spent washing dishes by trying these tips to lighten the task.
1. Load your dishwasher correctly. Make sure your dishes are facing toward the center, where the sprayer is. Put your silverware in with the handle down, and separate each item as much as possible. … Read more...
Since we spend a third of our lives asleep, it seems reasonable to try to understand as much about this thing we do as possible. You probably don’t spend too much time thinking about mattresses or the sleep process, but it turns out there are several interesting things worth knowing. Here are six strange and fun facts!
1. Before color television, most people dreamed in black and white. Now the percentage is much smaller, and it mostly consists of older people.
2. It’s illegal to buy a mattress on Sunday in Washington. Law experts in Washington, please explain.
3. Mattress dominoes is a real thing. It’s a category in the Guinness World Records!
4. The expression “sleep tight” exists because … Read more...
What better way to cool off this summer than with a trip to Splish Splash in Calverton, NY? Stop in to any P.C. Richard & Son Superstore and ask for your coupon toward discounted Splish Splash water park admission! There’s no purchase necessary to receive this coupon.
Here are the amazing deals you’ll get:
From now through June 30, 2016, save $6 on each general admission ticket for up to 6 guests (or up to $36 total).
From 7/1/16 through 9/5/16, save $4 on each general admission ticket for up to 6 guests (or up to $24 total).
These savings are void with any other discount, and you must have our original coupon from the stores in order to qualify. … Read more...
We’re all well-versed in basic kitchen safety, but there are particular safety precautions you need to know if you’re going to spend any time in the kitchen on Friday the 13th. If you plan to cook anything today, take heed of the following warnings:
1. Air bubbles in bread represent coffins, so if you cut into a loaf and see a hole, it’s an omen of death. My advice would be to just not cut into any bread today.
2. Spilling your tea means a stranger is coming to visit you.
3. If you’re cooking with friends, stay away from hot peppers. If you must use them, make sure you don’t directly hand them to each other. Handing a hot … Read more...
The end of the school year is upon us, which means many of us are preparing for the long-anticipated pinnacle of high school: prom. This is a really exciting and fun part of the high school experience, but it can also cause a lot of stress. At this point, you’ve (hopefully) already figured out what you’re wearing, so we’re going to focus on some tips to help you have a stress-free and memorable prom experience:
1. I recommend doing your hair yourself. This sounds counterintuitive, since getting someone else to do it seems far easier, but here’s the thing: you know how to do your hair. You just need the basic items (hair dryers, flat irons, curling … Read more...
I’ve recently gotten into the habit of packing essential nutrients into my diet in the form of smoothies. An energizing smoothie is a fantastic way to start the day, and nutrient-rich, protein-packed smoothies are perfect post-gym snacks. It’s so much fun to experiment with different ingredients and see what kind of deliciousness you can invent! This is one of my favorite creations, and it’s great to have at any time of day.
¾ cup frozen berries (I use a mixture of blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries, but any will do!)
We’ve been talking a lot about moms here lately, but we want to make sure we don’t overlook an important category of people this week. If, for whatever reason, you won’t be celebrating Mother’s Day with your mom this weekend (or even if you are), this is a great time to acknowledge the mother figures in your life who have been important to you. Perhaps a grandmother or aunt helped raise you, or your best friend’s mom is practically yours, too. Maybe a teacher acted as a motherly guide and had a profound influence on your life. Maybe your dad played the role of both parents while you were growing up. It could even be the “mom friend” in your … Read more...
Did you miss our post last week about what to get Mom, and now you’re running behind on Mother’s Day shopping? We’ve got you covered. Ordering online may be cutting it close timewise, but it’s not too late to make her something! Sugar scrubs are super easy to make, and they’re amazing beauty products. They gently exfoliate your skin, leaving it soft and rejuvenated. There are a ton of different kinds, but my favorite is a simple brown sugar scrub. Here’s how to make it!
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup brown sugar
A container of some sort
Raw cane sugar
Any additions you’d like (citrus, essential oils, vanilla extract, etc.)
We all love the feeling of going home. That’s why we spend so much time making it perfect, investing in the best appliances, electronics, furniture, décor, and everything that makes home our favorite place to be. With so much value placed on this space, it’s important to remember to keep it safe. Protect your home and everyone in it by installing the necessary items.
Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are required, and the most efficient way to get the benefits of both is to install the Nest Protect 2nd Generation Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm. Choose between wired and battery-powered versions, and feel comfortable knowing the smart technology is looking out for danger. The device will warn you when … Read more...
Now that the weather is warming up, it’s time to transition from the comforting warmth of hot coffee to the refreshing coolness of iced coffee. Fortunately, this is super easy to do at home! There’s a misconception that you need cold brew K-Cups or special brew-over-ice gear, and these things are great, but you can easily make iced coffee with the things you already have. Just follow this simple process!
1. Gather materials. You’ll need a Keurig, a K-Cup, ice, a cup, whatever additions you like to put in your coffee, and a stirrer.
2. Fill your cup with ice. Make sure it’s safe to hold hot liquids!